Winter 2020 Blood Drive: New Jersey Red Cross · Blood Donor App · Covid-10 Donation Safety Protocols · Financial Donations
The American Red Cross is testing all blood, platelet and plasma donations for COVID-19 antibodies. Donating blood products is essential to community health and the need for blood products is constant. The Red Cross follows the highest standards of safety and infection control, and volunteer donors are the only source of blood for those in need.
As hospitals resume surgical procedures and patient treatments that were temporarily paused due to the COVID-19 pandemic, donors are urged to give now to ensure blood products are readily available for patients. Donating blood products is essential to community health and eligible donors are strongly urged to donate now.
The Red Cross only collects blood from individuals who are healthy and feeling well at the time of donation – and who meet other eligibility requirements. At each blood drive or donation center, Red Cross employees follow thorough safety protocols, including:
– Wearing gloves and changing them often
– Wiping down donor-touched areas after every collection
– Using sterile collection sets for every donation
– Conducting donor mini-physicals to ensure donors are healthy and well on day of donation
– Enhanced disinfecting of surfaces and equipment
– Providing hand sanitizer for use before entering and throughout the donation appointment
– Temperature checks before presenting donors enter the blood drive or donation center
– Following social distancing practices between donors including donor beds, as well as waiting and refreshment areas
– Blankets provided for special donors are laundered after each use. Donors are welcome to bring their own blankets (not electric blankets or heating pads).