National Alliance On Mental Illness (NAMI.org) · Helpline: 800-950-NAMI (6264) · #CureStigma Quiz · New Jersey Affiliates · Donate
Each illness has its own symptoms, but common signs of mental illness in adults and adolescents can include:
- Excessive worrying or fear
- Prolonged or strong feelings of irritability or anger
- Avoiding friends and social activities
- Difficulties understanding or relating to other people
- Changes in eating habits such as increased hunger or lack of appetite
- Changes in sex drive
- Abuse of substances like alcohol or drugs
- Inability to handle everyday problems and stress
Symptoms in children may include:
- Changes in school performance or avoiding school
- Frequent nightmares
- Frequent disobedience, aggression, or temper tantrums
Don’t be afraid to reach out if you or someone you know needs help. Reach out to your health insurance, primary care doctor or state/country mental health authority for more resources. Contact the NAMI HelpLine 800-950-NAMI (6264) to find out what services and supports are available in your community.
If you or someone you know needs helps now, you should immediately call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or call 911.
Mental Health America (MHA) is the nation’s leading community-based nonprofit dedicated to addressing the needs of those living with mental illness and to promoting the overall mental health of all Americans.
Join Mental Health America as we challenge ourselves each day this May to make small changes – both physically and mentally – to create gains for our overall health and well being. Go to #4Mind4Body to find out more!