Source: YMCA New Jersey
The Community YMCA and YMCA of Western Monmouth County have announced that effective Sept. 1, 2019, they will join together as one YMCA association to strengthen individuals, families and communities throughout greater Monmouth County.
Collectively, the YMCAs will serve over 36,000 members and participants, employ more than 1,200 people and engage approximately 650 volunteers with an annual operating budget of $25 million, which will make the new association the second largest YMCA in New Jersey.
A task force of eight board members representing both Ys recommended the merger, which was unanimously approved by both boards. Laurie Goganzer has been serving as president and CEO of both associations and Jennifer Dunn as chief operating officer. The agreement will continue until the merger takes effect.
Combined, the association will have 11 facilities, including:
- health and wellness branches in Freehold, Old Bridge and Red Bank
- outdoor day camps in Millstone and Wall
- a community center in Freehold
- counseling and social services centers in Eatontown, Matawan and the Leonardo section of Middletown
- a child care center in Matawan
- administrative offices in Shrewsbury
Additionally, both YMCAs provide before and after school care services in 40 schools across Monmouth County and The Community YMCA provides therapeutic counseling to children in 53 schools in eastern Monmouth County and parts of Ocean County.
“Coming together will enable both Ys to benefit from shared resources and enhance our ability to respond to vital needs in our communities, including affordable child care, suicide prevention and mental and behavioral health care,” said Jennifer Lakefield, who will become chair of the new board and chief volunteer officer of the unified YMCAs.
Stacey DeAlmeida, incoming first vice president of the new board of directors, noted that since 2000, a growing number of YMCAs across the country have successfully merged and achieved greater community impact and sustainability. “We believe we will only be stronger together,” she said.
– For more information about The Community YMCA, call 732.671.5505 or visit TheCommunityYMCA.org.
– For more information about the YMCA Western Monmouth County, call 732.462.0464 or visit YMCAnj.org.
– For more information about the merger, visit YMCAnj.org/StrongerTogether.